How to Prepare for Winter Weather
Cooler temperatures are setting in, which means winter is on its way. Before winter weather hits your area, talk with your family about how to stay safe and take action to get prepared. Planning and preparing can help you manage the impact of severe winter weather.
The How to Prepare for a Winter Storm guide from America’s PrepareAthon!
outlines steps you can take now, including:
- Be alert to changing weather conditions using local alerts (PDF), battery-operated radios, and other news sources for information and instructions.
- Gather emergency supplies.
- If you have access to an outside generator, have an electric cord long enough to keep the generator at least 20 feet from any door, window, or vent.
- Install battery-powered or battery back-up carbon monoxide detectors.
- Make a family emergency communication plan (PDF).
- Never use a generator inside your home or in any partially enclosed area.
To learn more about preparing for winter weather, watch “When the Sky Turns Gray.”