To obtain a certified copy of a Minnesota death certificate
For Minnesota deaths 1997 and after:
You may purchase a Minnesota death certificate from any Minnesota county vital records office or from the state vital records office.
For Minnesota deaths between 1908 and 1997:
Please make your request to the county in which the death occurred or the state vital records office.
For Minnesota deaths before 1908:
Please make your request to the county in which the death occurred.
Apply in person for a death certificate
- Visit the Vital Statistics Department nearest you in the state of Minnesota.
- Complete a Death Certificate Application and present valid photo identification such as your driver's license. (the form certifies your right to a copy of the death certificate for that person.)
- The fee is $13 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy of the same record.
Apply by mail for a death certificate
- Complete the Death Certificate application by mail and sign the form in front of a notary public. You will need to show the notary public a valid photo identification such as a driver's license.
- Send $13 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy requested for the same record. Make check payable to Rice County Recorder.
- Send a completed Certificate Eligibility Form and correct fee to the address listed on the bottom of the Certificate Eligibility Form.
To obtain a non-certified copy of a death certificate by mail
- Complete the Noncertified Death Record Transcript Application
- Make a $13 check payable to Rice County Recorder.
- Send form and check to:
Rice County Recorder
320 Third St. NW
Faribault, MN 55021