Applications for passports (DS-11) are now being processed by appointment onlyThe DS-82 (renewal) form is NOT processed in this office. Processing times are from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information, call 507-332-6114.

DS-82 Renewal application for eligible individualsluke-littlefield-9HYakGk27sg-unsplash

 Adults with a 10-year passport must renew by mail provided the passport has expired within the last five years, or is soon to expire. Applicants who have been issued a passport age 15 and younger do not qualify to use this form.

DS-11 Application

  • Before arriving, complete -- but DO NOT SIGN -- the passport application in black ink. When printing, make sure that each page is printed on one side only.
  • A certified birth certificate is required (can be obtained from the Recorder’s Office for a $26 fee for those born in Minnesota), or a U.S. Naturalization certificate.
  • A passport photo is required. (The Recorder’s Office take photos for a $15 fee).
  • A valid photo ID must be presented when applying.
  • A check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State is required for each individual application.
  • Execution fees can be paid by cash, check, or money order made payable to Rice County Recorder. 
  • ALL DS-11 applicants must appear in person.
  • Citizenship documentation will be mailed in with your passport application and will be returned once the passport is processed and mailed.

Passport book vs. card

  • Passport books can be used for international travel by air, sea or land.
  • Passport cards allow entry into the U.S. at land border crossings and sea ports (Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda). It can NOT be used for international air travel.
  • For more information, including forms and fee schedule, you can go to the official passport website:

Passport Forms
Passport Fees

Never destroy or mutilate a U.S. passport, It is proof of United States citizenship.