Rice County provides a comprehensive, balanced and competitive benefits package as part of your total compensation. The county's benefits programs address both the immediate needs that you and your family may have, such as medical coverage or dependent care assistance, and your long-term needs, such as retirement savings.
The following outline of county-offered benefits serves as an overview and does not provide all provisions, limitations and exclusions. If there is a contradiction between this and the official plan documents, the plan documents will prevail.
Vacation accruals, utilization, and payouts vary within each collective bargaining agreement and/or the employee handbook. The following is the general overview of your vacation benefit:
- Maximum annual carry-over = 25 days
- Upon hire through 5 years – 14 days per year
- 6 years through 10 years of continuous service – 17 days per year
- 11 years through 15 years of continuous service – 20 days per year
- 16 years through 20 years of continuous service – 22 days per year
- 21+ years of continuous service – 24 days per year
Sick leave with pay shall be accrued by each employee at a rate of one (1) working day for each full month of service. Sick leave is accrued during the probationary period and may be used upon accrual in accordance with Sick Leave Policy. Maximum accrual = 100 days
Sick leave trade-in is available on a 2 for 1 basis to employees with a sick leave bank in excess of 24 days.
Most employee groups observe the following holidays:
New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, the Friday after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve Day and Christmas Day.
Eligibility begins the month following 30 days of employment. Employees may choose between single, employee + spouse, employee and children, or family coverage.
Rice County provides $20,000 ($30,000 for deputies and sergeants bargaining units) of term life insurance coverage at no cost to the employee. Through Lincoln, employees may also apply for supplemental life/AD&D, dependent and spouse life insurance coverage.
- The county and the employee contributes to PERA (Public Employees Retirement Association)
- Employees must participate as directed by Minnesota statutes.
- Contribution rates vary depending on position.
- Employee may obtain refund of employee contribution upon termination of service.
Variable benefits available
The following benefits are available on an elective basis at the employee’s choice: dental, vision, accident insurance, critical illness, long-term disability, Health Savings Account (HSA), flexible spending reimbursement accounts (FSA), deferred compensation (457b) and supplemental life.
- Direct deposit
- Employee Assistance Program
- Training opportunities
- Payroll deductions
Questions regarding benefit information can be directed to Human Resources at 507-332-6100.