Public assistance programs

Click here if you need an interpreter

No English 507-332-5995 telephone icon Opens in new window

Apply for assistance

Apply online through MNbenefits at

Mail/Drop off/Email/Fax: Paper applications (DHS 5223 Combined Application Form) can be downloaded and completed electronically or printed through MN Department of Human Services eDocs:

Mail/Drop off:
Rice County Social Services
Rice County Government Services Building
320 Third St. NW
Faribault, MN 55021

The Government Services Building is open from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday (offices are closed on legal holidays). A secure drop box is located outside the building's north entrance for after-hours drop offs.

Email: [email protected]
Fax: 507-332-6247
For more information, call 507-332-5995

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement (NDS)


Financial Assistance

Minnesota Family Investment Program

MFIP is a monthly cash or food benefits program. It is for families with dependent children and some pregnant women. MFIP is time limited. Most parents with minor children only receive help for a total of 60 months. Because MFIP expects, supports and rewards work; parents must meet work rule requirements or the grants will be reduced.

General Assistance

GA is monthly cash payment that clients use for clothes, food, housing and other basic needs. It is not for people who can work. It is for people who

  • Are not able to receive help from other state or federal programs.
  • Have little or no income.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid

MSA is a monthly cash payment that helps people whose disability, retirement or other income is not enough to meet their needs. It can also give short-term help for a crisis. MSA is for people who are:

  • Age 65 or older
  • Disabled

Refugee Cash Assistance

RCA is for people who have been in the U.S. eight months or less, and who meet income guidelines.

SNAP (food support)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides nutrition benefits to supplement the food budget of needy families so they can purchase healthy food and move toward self-sufficiency.

Health care/Medical Assistance

Medical Assistance (MA) is a federal program that may pay medical bills for people who can't. afford them MA is for people who are

  • Under 21 or over 65
  • Blind
  • Disabled (mentally or physically)
  • Pregnant
  • Some parents or caretakers of a child under age 19 are eligible. Those receiving AFDC will also get MA.

Printable applications/apply online