Passport information

Applications for passports (DS-11) are processed by appointment only. The DS-82 form (renewal) is NOT processed in this office. Call 507-332-6114 to schedule an appointment. 

Book vs. Card

Passport books can be used for international travel by air, sea, or land.
Passport cards allow entry into the U.S. at land border crossings and seaports (Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda). It can NOT be used for international air travel.

DS-82 Renewal application for eligible individualsluke-littlefield-9HYakGk27sg-unsplash

Adults with a 10-year passport must renew by mail provided the passport has expired within the last 5 years or is soon to expire. Applicants who have been issued a passport at age 15 and younger do not qualify to use this form.

DS-11 Application

  2. Make sure, before you arrive, that your passport application has been completed in black ink. Do NOT sign the application. When printing, make sure that each page is printed on one side.
  3. A certified birth certificate is required (can be obtained from the Recorder’s Office for a $26 fee if born in Minnesota) or your U.S. Naturalization certificate, and/or an expired passport. Be aware that citizenship documentation will be mailed in with your passport application and returned once the passport is processed and mailed.
  4. A passport photo is required. (The Recorder’s Office can take photos for a fee of $15)
  5. A valid photo ID must be presented when applying.
  6. Rice County Recorder fee can be paid by cash, check, money order, or credit/debit card (subject to convenience fees).
    Execution fee = $35
    Passport photo = $15
  1. U.S. Department of State fee is payable by check or money order ONLY on each individual application.

Express mail

For more information, including forms and fee schedule, visit to the official passport website,

Passport Forms
Passport Fees

Never destroy or mutilate a U.S. passport, It is proof of United States citizenship.