- Your Government
- Public Health
- Family Child Health Services
- Child and Teen Checkups
Child and Teen Checkups
This program connects children under age 21 enrolled in a Medical Assistance program with medical and dental service providers for well-child exams and preventative screenings. Staff also offer information regarding child development, health and safety, and community resources. View our most recent Child and Teen Checkups newsletter.
Well-child exams increase positive outcomes for the children who receive them.
- Identify potential health problems or debilitating conditions
- Provide diagnosis and treatment of those health problems or conditions
- Encourage the development of good health habits.
When health problems are found and treated early, more serious problems are prevented and this helps decrease future healthcare costs. Children and families learn at each well-child exam about healthy lifestyles and safety habits, how to reduce risky behaviors and appropriate use of medical facilities.
C&TC exams include
- Head-to-toe exam with immunizations and lab tests (as needed)
- Checks on development and growth and hearing and vision checks
- Information about good physical and mental health
- Time to ask questions and get answers about your child's health, behavior, and development and to talk about the child's learning, feelings, relationships, and parenting and caregiver well-being
- Application of fluoride varnish to keep the teeth healthy
- Referral to the dentist or other providers (as needed)
- Early dental checkups help keep teeth healthy, and ensure your child doesn't develop cavities or other tooth problems that require treatment
- Visits to the dentist should begin as soon as a baby gets their first tooth, or no later than 12 months old and regular dental visits should continue every six months, or more often if your dentist recommends
Well-child checkups should be performed
- Between birth and 1 month
- At months 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 24 and 30
- Every year from age 3 through 20
Where to get Child & Teen Checkups
- Your doctor or clinic.
- The Child & Teen Checkups Provider List contains contact information about clinics located in Rice County that perform Child and Teen Checkups, as well as helpful numbers for dental and transportation services.